Wednesday, May 5, 2010

72 Days


"It is only after one is in trouble that one realizes how little sympathy and kindness there are in the world." Elizabeth Cochran, 'Nellie Bly'

Less than it took Mr. Fogg: That was the goal. Intrepid journalist. Elizabeth Cochran, a.k.a. Nellie Bly was determined to travel 'round the world in less time than it took Phileas Fogg, hero of Jules Verne's bestselling adventure story, Around the World in Eighty Days. She'd already faked mental illness so she could do an expose of the nightmare world within the walls of women's lunatic asylum. I could wax on about this completely courageous woman, veteran of a hard-luck girlhood, & world traveler, but I must go take my niece to school. I'll confine myself to saying that "Nellie" made the trip in 72 days and today's her birthday and I honor her. What a dame!

1 comment:

  1. I also blogged about Bly for her birthday! I didn't write about her trip around the world (I'll save it for next time) but about her journalism, including the asylum expose. I'd love to hear what you think if you drop by! The American Literary Blog

    ReplyDelete