Friday, September 3, 2010

Peace

“In the life of each of us, I said to myself, 'There is a place remote and islanded, and given to endless regret or secret happiness.'
Sarah Orne Jewett, born 3rd of September, 1849


So, I said to myself, there's a lovely quotation I'd never have come across had I not been looking to see who was born on this day in history. Were I to be telling personal truth here, I'd note that all is pretty much peaceful on my inner island though the climate is generally regretful. As I'm not, I'll note that important, complex men were settling their wigs on their heads, tugging on their silk stockings, clothing themselves in fine wools and linens, buckling their shoes, making ready for a big day in Paris, 227 years ago this day. Sealing wax was melted, quills were trimmed, ready for the dipping and scratching signatures across fine parchment on Sept. 3, 1783, , where the final treaty of peace & commerce between Great Britain & the baby U.S.A. was about to be signed, ending the truly dreadful world war/Indian war/civil war, never mind those quaint engravings and oil paintings. The Revolutionary War of Independence was finally over. God bless the United States of America - and all the other nations, too. We all, for sure, need all the help we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment