Thursday, October 28, 2010

"It is always with excitement that I wake up in the morning wondering what my intuition will toss up to me, like gifts from the sea. I work with it and rely on it. It's my partner." Dr. Jonas Salk, b. 28 Oct. 1914


The good doctor was born in NYC, just a few weeks after ships began passing through Panama's newly-completed Canal; just a few weeks before before U.S. ships sailed out of Veracruz, Mexico. Our govt. had sent out the marines to keep the Germans, or "Huns," as they'd have been termed in these spun-up proper-gandered times. WWI had begun a couple of months before Jonas Salk came into the world. Edgar Rice Burroughs published Tarzan of the Apes that year & Alfred Joyce Kilmer, a much-respected literary critic & journalist, published - "I think that I shall never see..." – Trees that year, what would be the most famous of his many poems. Only 31 he was, when he was killed in "the Great War," in the summer of 1918, a couple of weeks after Quentin, TR's youngest cub, [TR, whose cousin FDR suffered so w/ poliomyelitis, largely vanquished, thanks to the work of Dr. J.S.] was shot out of the sky over France... sigh. Ah well. It's Victor Hugo's birthday, too, jfytk, in 1828. I'm glad we had them while we had them.

No comments:

Post a Comment