Friday, March 30, 2012

Women's History Month No. 30



"As for those grapefruit & buttermilk diets, I'll take roast chicken & dumplings."

"I've played everything but a harp."

"Putting a little time aside for clean fun & good humor is very necessary to relieve the tensions of our time."

"I'd rather play a maid than be one. Why should I complain $700 a week playing a maid? If I didn't, I'd be making $7 a week being one."

Hattie McDaniel (1895 - 1952)

Well, until started writing about this remarkable lady, I never knew that Ms. McDaniel was the youngest of 13 children, born to former slaves in Wichita, KS. When you read some of the things she said, don't you feel that she would have been a person you'd love to know? And isn't this a lovely picture of her? And this?





No comments:

Post a Comment