Tuesday, December 11, 2012

11 December




Star-Stalker Annie Jump Cannon

So, I'm needing to head out in the next little bit to talk to what I reckon will be a very small audience [I wouldn't show up either if I hadn't promised I would. It about takes blasting caps to get me out of the house, I swear] at my neighborhood's old folks' home, about illustrating my version of The Night Before Christmas [23 years ago - can you believe it? me neither]. ThirtySomething was still on network TV. Anyway, today's the anniversary of the birth [in 1863] of astronomer Annie Jump Cannon, who had a terrific name, one I'd never heard until I wrote & illustrated Remember the Ladies.  

Big Mama Thornton
    AND it's the birthday [in1926, when my dad was 4 yrs old] of rhythm and blues recording artist, knockout-voiced Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton. Click HERE to hear her belt out Hound Dog. Baybee.  

No comments:

Post a Comment